While we take care of other parts of our body scrupulously, often, our teeth and the dental cavity are neglected. Every day, with our food intake, we expose our teeth to harsh conditions (acidic or sugary), which deteriorates our oral health. In addition, inadequate cleaning of teeth, not maintaining oral hygiene can cause dental problems like tooth decay, gum disease, and oral infections.
But what if the tooth is gradually getting damaged? In cases of pulp infection or high levels of tooth decay, Root Canal Treatment ensures that the damaged tooth gets retained effectively. Read on to find out in detail about the treatment and the tools used.
What is a Root Canal Treatment?
This treatment, also known as endodontic treatment, is a standard dental procedure used to remove the pulp infected. The pulp is a soft tissue present inside the tooth, between the enamel and dentin layer of teeth, which nourishes it. In the procedure, the pulp chamber and root canal are entirely cleaned out. Then, it is refilled to prevent any further damage to the tooth.
When do you need a Root Canal Treatment?
Problems like swollen gums, cracked teeth, persistent pain, tooth discoloration, and sensitivity may indicate that you need a root canal treatment as soon as possible.
What are the steps involved in the procedure?
- Step 1: A preliminary examination of the tooth is required for estimating if the tooth can be restored. An X-Ray examination is done to identify and understand the extent of damage inflicted on the affected tooth.
- Step 2: The dentist begins by administering anesthesia to numb the area around the tooth. A dental dam (typically a thin rubber/ vinyl sheet) is inserted to focus on the infected area. It also ensures that a sterile environment is maintained to avoid further infections.
- Step 3: A small hole is drilled into the affected tooth to reach the pulp chamber. For this purpose, an Airotor handpiece, which is more convenient, is used. An airotor handpiece is a simple dental abrasive device, which uses compressed air and rotates at high speeds. As a lightweight device, air rotor handpieces deliver small torque values. It makes it easier for dentists to operate on the tooth. While choosing a suitable airotor handpiece, discretion should be used on parameters like head size, head angulations, types of tube connections, and water delivery. Air rotor handpieces are attached to the dental chairs to perform dental procedures like removing a decayed tooth, fractured restorations, tooth sectioning, etc. An airotor handpiece that is best for your practice can be found in the vast collection that Dentalkart provides, with options that best fit your budget and requirements.
- Step 4: Some tools are used to remove the dead pulp tissue and nerves, following which no pain can be felt near the affected tooth. A thorough disinfection and cleaning process is carried out within the tooth and the inside canal to prevent contamination.
- Step 5: The root canal needs to be shaped to insert the filling and sealer. Flexible canal tools are used for the same. Dentists use Endomotor with Apex locator (can be used together or separately, depending on the dentist’s choice and need) to estimate the apical constriction position and finally determine the length of the root canal space. Endomotors specifically are tools that help to execute endodontic processes, providing higher speeds and ease while preparing endodontic canals. Electronic apex locators are more accurate than radiography. Further, various sellers and brands manufacturing endo motors with apex locators are available on Dentalkart.
- Step 6: Again, the tooth is cleaned, more vigorously to eliminate any scope of infection before filling and sealing. A thermoplastic filling material called gutta-percha (feels rubbery) is filled in the root canals and is closed by a cement sealer (adhesive). This seal acts as protection against future reinfections.
- Step 7: A post may be needed depending on the condition of the tooth. It is inserted into the root canal during filling to hold the temporary/permanent filling in place.
- Step 8: In temporary fillings, it is essential to get a follow-up appointment and get a permanent filling. The lost tooth structure may be replaced with a crown, depending on what type of restoration is best for the patient.
- Step 9: It is common to experience minor pain after the procedure, and in some cases, the patient may be prescribed antibiotics to treat any enduring infections.
In all, there is no need to hesitate before thinking of getting a root canal. It helps in maintaining general dental hygiene and lowers any further risk to the teeth. With proper care after the root canal procedure, the teeth can be retained for a lifetime, enabling the patient to flaunt the perfect smile. The dental hygiene and health restored after the treatment helps the patients regain their confidence and the ease to eat the kind of food they love! The tools used in the procedure are advanced yet straightforward – effectively cleans the teeth with high accuracy. A variety of sellers offering these tools can be found online on Dentalkart, with different price ranges that suit your needs. Dentalkart is India’s best online space to buy dental accessories, equipment, and much more.