Traditionally used for thousands of years to cure a wide variety of ailments, elderberry is one of the most popular ingredients that you can find in supplements today. But what is it, exactly, and what makes it so versatile? Read on below for more information on this antioxidant-rich fruit and why you should consider a supplement that contains elderberry with vitamin C and zinc from Raw Revelations:
What is Elderberry?
Elderberry (scientific name Sambucus nigra) is a dark purple berry that comes from the European elder tree. It is said to have been used as far back as 400 BC; Hippocrates, the Father of Medicine, famously referred to the elder tree as his “medicine chest”. Elderberry is also said to have been traditionally used by indigenous peoples to treat fever and rheumatism; the ancient Egyptians, on the other hand, used the fruit to heal burns and to enhance their complexion.
To this day, various parts of the elder tree are used for folk medicinal and culinary purposes. Elderberries are quite tart, and thus require cooking in order to be consumed. When dried or juiced, it is said to cure influenza, headaches, sciatica, toothaches, and various other infections. Dried elderberries and elderberry juice can also be used as diuretics or laxatives.
Meanwhile, the flowers and leaves of the elder tree have been traditionally used to relieve inflammation, pain, and swelling. Folk healers also recommend them to induce urine production and sweating. Similarly, the bark of the elder tree is commonly used as a laxative and a diuretic.
Elderberries are known to possess many health benefits, namely:
– Rich in vitamin C. You can gain up to 52 mg of vitamin C per cup of elderberries, accounting for 57% of your daily needs.
– High in antioxidants. Elderberries are high in phenolic acids, potent antioxidants that can help mitigate the damage caused by oxidative stress in the body.
– Rich in flavonoids. Elderberries contain isorhamnetin, kaempferol, and quercetin.
– High in anthocyanins. Anthocyanins give elderberries their distinct dark purple color. It, too, is a powerful antioxidant that can fight inflammation.
– High in dietary fiber. Like most fruits, elderberries are rich in dietary fiber: about 10 grams of it per cup of fresh berries, accounting for 36% of your daily needs.
All About Camu Plus, Raw Revelations’ supplement containing elderberry with vitamin C and zinc
Camu Plus is Raw Revelations’ blend of superfruits, combining the powers of Camu Camu berries, acerola cherries, amla berries, and black elderberries with zinc glycinate chelate to give your immune system a much-needed boost. This supplement is high in vitamin C and zinc, all derived from natural sources, to help you fight off viruses and infections.
Raw Revelations recommends adding this supplement to a glass of water or your favorite drink at least three times a day for best results. Given that elderberry is also often used as a laxative, though, you may want to take it with food in order to prevent nausea or upsetting your stomach.