Individuals who exhibit symptoms such as fever, difficulty swallowing food, and persistent coughing must consult a pulmonologist. The specialist will conduct tests to diagnose the illness and determine the severity of the condition. Additionally, the specialist will provide guidance regarding effective treatment options for a smooth recovery.
The infection affects the respiratory tract involving the nose, throat, pharynx, larynx. People exhibiting the symptoms must seek medical attention to avoid complications. Without treatment, the condition can be lethal. However, the treatment options can help relieve the pain unease and help the patient get better in days.
Symptoms of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
The signs and symptoms that correlate with upper respiratory tract infection include:
- The patient either suffers from a runny nose or a stuffy nose.
- The patient sneezes and struggles to breathe through the nose,
- The patient has a sore throat, which causes difficulty swallowing and sleeping.
- The patient struggles to eat spicy food.
- The patient suffers from recurrent episodes of mild to high-grade fever.
- The patient constantly coughs, which causes discomfort and pain.
Causes of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
People who come in direct contact with bacteria and viruses are more likely to suffer from upper respiratory tract infections.
- The viruses that can cause infection are; rhinovirus, Parainfluenza, Coronavirus, Adenovirus, Respiratory syncytial Coxsackievirus, and Human meta-pneumonia virus.
- Similarly, the bacteria that cause infection and inflammation in the respiratory tract are; Group A beta-hemolytic streptococci, Pneumococcal Pneumoniae, Group C beta-hemolytic streptococci, Hemophilus Influenzae, and Corynebacterium diphtheriae.
The preventive measures that help reduce the chances of contracting the infection include:
- People should keep their houses ventilated.
- Individuals diagnosed with coronavirus must socially isolate themselves to avoid the spread.
- People exhibiting symptoms of URTI must wear a mask and avoid shaking hands with others.
- Individuals must contact their specialists and take treatment to avoid complications.
Complications Associated with Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
The complications that correlate with URTI are:
- Most people with the infection suffer from shortness of breath that can affect their sleep.
- People may suffer from severe lung damage that causes complications, including heart disease.
- The patient is more likely to be dehydrated, which affects the overall functioning of the organs.
- The permanent damage to the lungs can affect kidney functioning.
The tests that assist in diagnosing a person with upper respiratory tract infection include:
- Throat culture: A sample of the saliva is extracted from the patient. The test helps determine the cause of the infection. It helps detect the bacteria or virus that is causing the person to suffer from the condition.
- CT Scan: The imaging test such as Ct scan helps get a detailed picture of the throat. It helps to determine the severity of the infection and complications that may affect the functioning of other organs.
- X-ray: The chest x-ray helps check the spread of the infection. The spread of the infection to the lungs can cause complications. Therefore, immediate treatment is given to the patient.
Effective Treatment Options
The treatment that has been proven effective in treating upper respiratory tract infection includes:
- Use of Analgesics: The medications help the patient fight fever and body aches.
- Use of Antihistamines: The medications help temporary relief from the discomfort. The patient can breathe easily after taking antihistamines.
- Use of Antibiotics: After confirming the cause of the infection, the doctor plans the treatment accordingly. The use of antibiotics helps fight bacterial infection and provide relief to the patient.
- Use of Nasal Decongestant Sprays: Individuals can keep the spray with them outdoors. It helps provide temporary relief to the patient.
If individuals exhibit symptoms for more than a week, it is essential to visit a Pulmonologist in Lahore through oladoc.com. The specialist will help evaluate the severity of the condition and provide treatment accordingly. It will help the individual get better and function adequately in every aspect of life without complications.