Your vehicle’s RC or Registration Certificate is legal proof of the authentic registration of your vehicle under a specific RTO that is the vehicle registration authority of the Government of India. Your RC is valid for a period of 15 years, post which it has to be renewed every 5 years. An RC is one of the most important documents that is the identity of your vehicle and losing it can be very problematic.
What are the conditions when you would need a duplicate RC?
In case you lose your RC due to any reason, you must apply for a duplicate one as soon as possible. Here are few instances when you would need a duplicate RC-
- There may be instances when you have an original RC but it has a broken or missing chip in an RC card which makes the RC invalid.
- You may need a duplicate RC if due to a misprint it has incorrect details like HPA / HPT, Ownership serial, MFG year, etc.
- You may also have to apply for a duplicate RC if the information on the Vahan Check and your RC do not match.
- A duplicate RC may also be required if the CHASSIS number is not readable.
- In case you want to avail a two-wheeler insurance cover or a car insurance cover, having an RC is extremely necessary. In case you have lost your RC, you can still avail of an insurance cover but with a duplicate RC. To know the details of how to avail a motor insurance cover with a duplicate RC you can visit the Bajaj Finserv website.
So, there are not one but several reasons why you would need a duplicate RC. Here are some ways that you can avail a duplicate RC offline/online
Avail duplicate RC online or offline
- Submit an application to the nearest police station stating that your RC is stolen or lost. You can also file an online FIR. What you need is a Missing Registration Certificate challan which you will get once you register a complaint in the police station. This challan is a testimony stating that your RC is lost. Once done you can proceed on applying for a duplicate RC, but you would need the following documents-
– Chassis details
– Engine details
– Car Model
– Car Color
– Registration number of your car
– ID proof
– Address proof
– Driving license
You can fill the application for a duplicate RC online but after that, you will have to visit the RTO. To register for a request for duplicate RC follow the following steps-
– Login to the Parivahan Sewa website and fill in the application form. This form will require the FIR details.
– Pay the service fee online through any online modes of payment
– You will get an online receipt for the application which you will have to submit at the RTO.
Documents that will be required at the RTO will include-
– FIR/Police certificate
– Pollution under control (PUC) certificate- Attested copy
– Insurance certificate- Attested copy
– Address proof- Attested copy
– PAN Card- Attested copy
– Pencil Print for Chassis & Engine
– Signature of the owner
– Affidavit mentioning that the RC was lost and has not been held
With the above documents, you can now visit the RTO and get a duplicate copy of your RC. The process may be cumbersome but is necessary for maintaining the legal ownership of your vehicle.